To initiate the referral process:
- A referral is initiated by the teacher with the consent of the parent/guardian.
- Concerns discussed with the Method and Resource Teacher.
- Student is discussed with the Speech-Language Pathologist at the School Support Team meeting.
- At the School Support Team Meeting, the Speech-Language Pathologist determines if a referral is appropriate.
- Once a decision has been made to proceed with a referral, parents sign a referral form. The completed referral form is then sent to the Speech-Language Pathology Department.
- Be patient. We will do our best to see the student as soon as we can!
Once a referral has been received the SLP will:
- Contact parent to obtain Informed Consent and gather information.
- Conduct an assessment, which may include a review of the student's Ontario Student Record (OSR), discussion with teacher, classroom observations, and administration of formal and informal measures with the student.
- Determine appropriate programming. Recommendations will be developed in collaboration with the teacher.
- Oral and written reports of the results will be shared with teachers and parents.
- SLP report stored in OSR, SLP file, parent copy and a confidential electronic data base.