Dual credit programs are programs approved by the Ministry of Education that allow students, while they are still in secondary school, to take college or apprenticeship course that counts towards both their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and a postsecondary certificate, diploma, degree, or a Certificate of Apprenticeship.
Dual credit programs are intended to assist secondary school students in completing their OSSD and making a successful transition to college and/or apprenticeship programs.
Who are Dual Credit Programs for?
Dual Credit Programs are aimed at students who fall into one of the three following categories:
- Students who face significant challenges in completing the requirements for graduation. This group includes disengaged and underachieving students who have the potential to succeed but are at risk of not graduating, and students who left school before graduating. These students are the primary focus of dual credit programs;
Eligible students should meet the following criteria:
- 16 years of age or older
- can potentially graduate within 1 year, but have not yet graduated
- have the potential to successfully complete a college course or Level-1 apprenticeship training program
- students who are disengaged and/or underachieving.
- Students in Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) programs;
- Students in the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP).
How does it work?
Students attend classes on a college campus one afternoon a week for approximately 15 weeks. Upon successful completion of the college-delivered course, students earn both a college and secondary school credit which will count towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma (elective credit).
Which colleges offer Dual Credits?
Centennial College, Humber College, Seneca College and George Brown College.
Please note: These courses do not require tuition fees or apprenticeship classroom fees for their classes/training. In addition, because students will be traveling to the college one afternoon a week, they will be provided with TTC tickets if necessary by their home schools.
Where can I find out more?
Contact Eric Lawrence our Centrally Assigned Dual Credit Teacher at email@example.com.
Dual Credit Course Offerings
Dual Credits & SWAC page