The Vocal Music Academy helps shape our future musicians and artists. This unique TDSB program engages students with a passion for music and performance. Singing, creating and performing are at the core of this program, geared for boys and girls in grades 4 to 7. Students experience music from around the world and learn about the musicians and music that have shaped our world, history and cultures.
Students in the Vocal Music Academy:
- Participate in a variety of vocal performance opportunities with a strong emphasis on ensemble singing
- Learn about and perform music from around the world and various historical eras
- Discover their creativity by writing and performing their own music
- Learn to think critically about the music they hear, perform and create
- Develop musicianship, artistry, self-esteem and confidence
Students are part of a culture that balances academic excellence with personal leadership, character development and innovation.
There are two Vocal Music Academies in the TDSB:
Ben Heppner Vocal Music Academy, 80 Slan Ave, Scarborough.
Downtown Vocal Music Academy of Toronto at Ryerson Community School, 96 Dennison Ave, Toronto.