2. Students With Parent On Study Permit
A student under the age of 18 may be eligible for fee-exempt status if all of the following conditions are met by a parent with a study permit:
- The parent must have a letter of acceptance from a designated learning institution that receives operating grants from the Government of Ontario
- The parent must be accepted into a full-time program leading to a post-secondary degree, diploma, or certificate program. Certificate programs must be at least 2 semesters long and meet Ministry requirement for total instructional hours (minimum 600+ hours). If the fee exempt status applies, the student may begin school 1 week before the start date of the parent’s program fees will apply to students who wish to enroll prior to this date.
- The parent must maintain status as a full-time student and
- The student must live with the parent who is studying in Ontario.
Requirements for Parent attending English Classes
- The parent’s official letter of acceptance must state that the English as a Second Language (“ESL”) or EPA program is a prerequisite for or part of a degree, diploma or certificate program.
- The ESL program must be provided by a designated learning institution that receives operating grants from the Government of Ontario.
Required documents for Parent with Study Permit:
- Parent’s valid study permit and passport
- Official letter of acceptance from the post-secondary institution that receives operating grants from the Government of Ontario
- Proof that tuition fees have been paid (recent tuition receipts)
- Official enrollment confirmation letter of the parent
- Student’s passport and birth certificate with English translation and
- Proof of residence in the City of Toronto (a rental agreement or utility bill).
If one parent holds valid open work permit from IRCC and is physically living with the student in Toronto, the family can go to local school to register directly.
Please contact TDSB International Students and Admissions Office at StudyToronto@tdsb.on.ca for information.