Focus on Youth Toronto (FOYT) will hire secondary students registered in a Toronto District School Board school for summer employment. Students will be employed as summer camp counsellors in support of community summer programs. The FOYT summer employment program runs from July 2 to August 9, 2019, with an additional three days for training in June. TDSB students can apply for FOYT employment through the online application form at the bottom of this page from May 2nd - May 14th.
Students hired for FOYT will be subject to the documentation process expected of temporary employees of the TDSB:
- Presentation of identification
- Confirmation of a bank account for purposes of direct payroll deposit
- A police reference check clearance is also required for students 18 years of age and older.
- Must be 16 years of age or older by July 1, 2019.
- Must be currently registered in a TDSB school or program.
- Must enjoy working with children and have interests in one of the following areas:
- Leadership Development
- Literacy and Numeracy
- Sports and Recreation
- A reference is required
- Students hired for FOYT are not permitted to participate in activities that occur in or on water at a swimming pool, waterpark or open water (e.g., lake or river). Student employees are permitted to participate at splash pads and wading pools.
Rate of Pay for FOYT Student Counselors
Students hired for the FOYT program will be paid $14.00 per hour plus statutory holiday and vacation pay, subject to applicable deductions.
Candidates selected for an interview will receive an email the week of May 21st.
A reference name, position and contact information could come from one of the following examples:
- A TDSB staff person (teacher, guidance, principal)
- A supervisor / mentor
- A community leader
For all student employees, the FOYT program will begin with pre-employment orientation on topics such as workplace health and safety, emergency first aid, and recognizing and reporting child abuse.
Key Dates 2019
||Applications open for FOYT summer student employment
||Applications close for FOYT summer student employment
|Week of May 21st
||Students who have an interview contacted via email
|Week of May 27th
||FOYT Interviews. Successful candidates to be informed at interview.
||Pre-employment Student Training (3 days)
||First day of FOYT employment
||Last day of FOYT employment