Regulation 612/00 15 (1-3) of the Education Act indicates that a School Council may make By-Laws governing the conduct of its affairs and that every School Council shall make the following By-Laws:
- By-Laws that govern election procedures and the filling of vacancies in the membership of the School Council;
- By-Laws that establish rules respecting participation in School Council proceedings in cases of conflict of interest;
- By-Laws that, establish a conflict resolution process for School Council disputes
To support this process, TDSB has updated the School Council By-Laws’ Template. The update includes:
- Mandatory articles that must be inserted into all TDSB School Council By-Laws;
- Optional articles that School Councils may or may not choose to insert;
- A template system that will enable School Councils to input their information and to have the By-Laws returned within 5 – 7 business days.
All School Councils must submit their templates by December 23, 2022.
By-Laws’ Review Process
The chart below outlines a process for the review and approval of By-Laws.