Toronto District School Board
Skip to main content

Student Demographics for Virtual and In-Person School

Student Demographics for Virtual and In-Person School

As of September 30, 2020, there were 240,770 students actively attending TDSB schools, either in person or virtually:

  • 61,835 elementary school students, or 37%, were attending the four elementary virtual schools;
  • 17,717 secondary school students, or 24%, were attending the secondary virtual school;
  • Overall, 79,552 students, or 33% of the TDSB student population, were attending school virtually. The other 67% were attending school in-person.


Enrolment by Grade

Grade

Virtual School Enrolment (Count)

Virtual School Enrolment (Percent)

In-Person Enrolment (Count)

In-Person Enrolment (Percent)

JK

5,566

37%

9,320

63%

SK

6,559

39%

10,315

61%

Gr. 1

6,556

38%

10,670

62%

Gr. 2

6,339

37%

10,947

63%

Gr. 3

6,538

37%

10,956

63%

Gr. 4

6,117

36%

10,727

64%

Gr. 5

6,067

35%

11,025

65%

Gr. 6

6,159

36%

10,733

64%

Gr. 7

6,019

36%

10,600

64%

Gr. 8

5,915

35%

11,134

65%

Gr. 9

3,621

22%

12,987

78%

Gr. 10

4,442

27%

12,174

73%

Gr. 11

4,246

25%

12,522

75%

Gr. 12

5,408

24%

17,108

76%

 

  • There are no proportional differences for students enrolled in Virtual School and those enrolled in In-Person School for the following demographic indicators:

  • Gender;

  • Students with special education needs; and

  • Birth place and time in Canada.

  • Proportionally, students from lower-income families tend to enrol in Virtual School.

  • Proportionally, students with parents who attained higher levels of education tended to choose In-Person School.

  • The relationship between socioeconomic status (SES) and school choice is most pronounced at extreme ends of the Learning Opportunities Index (LOI), with the lowest proportions of students choosing In-Person School in schools between LOI 1-50 and the highest proportions of students choosing In-Person School in schools between LOI 420-472.

  • 65% of students in Virtual School speak a language other than English at home compared to only 49% of students attending In-Person School.

  • Compared to the TDSB as a whole, South Asian and East Asian students are significantly overrepresented in Virtual School and White students are significantly underrepresented.

Proportion of Grades 3-12 Students by Ethno-Racial Group

Chart with proportion of Grades 3 to 12 students by ethno-racial group

Overall TDSB Ethno-Racial Background of Students
 

This pie chart shows overall student demographics in the TDSB, White 28%, South Asian 22%, East Asian 14%, Mixed 12%, Black 11%, Middle Eastern 6%, Southeast Asian 4%, Latin American 2%, Indigenous 0.2%

Note: This data was collected through the last administration of the TDSB's Student and Parent Census in 2017. Percentages may not add up to 100 due to rounding.
© 2014 Toronto District School Board  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy   |  CASL