The Toronto District School Board's External Research Review Committee (ERRC) reviews requests from external individuals and/or organizations applying to conduct research in TDSB schools. This review process ensures that proper procedures and guidelines are followed in conducting research. Once applications have been approved, the final decision to participate rests with individual school principals. Staff, students, and parents also have the right to decide if they wish to participate.
- We have transitioned to an online application form. Please complete the online form and submit your application in one pdf through the online form. Hard copy, mailed applications will not be accepted.
- At this point applicants do not need to submit Police Reference Check information. Any acceptance decisions will be conditional upon receipt of Police Reference Check/Vulnerable Sector Screening documentation.
- As visitors are limited in TDSB schools, we are strongly encouraging online data collection activities.
- If in-person research must be conducted, all visitors must adhere to the TDSB’s COVID-19 health and safety protocols.
- Above all, it is the principal’s prerogative to decide whether or not the school will be involved in approved research studies.
Please be advised, depending on the structure of learning in 2020-21, these dates may change.
|Deadline for Applications
||ERRC Meeting Dates
|September 16, 2020
||October 2, 2020
|November 18, 2020
||December 4, 2020
|January 13, 2021
||January 29, 2021
|March 24, 2021
||April 9, 2021
|May 26, 2021
||June 11, 2021
Please see the following information documents for more details:
Once you have completed the research application form, please submit.
Common Questions and Answers:
Does my research need ethics review by the TDSB?
- If you are accessing the TDSB’s students, staff, and/or families for research purposes, researchers must submit an application form to the External Research Review Committee. This is in addition to researcher’s own institution’s Ethics Board.
- Please note, once applications have been approved, the final decision to participate rests with individual school principals. Staff, students, and parents also have the right to decide if they wish to participate.
How do I apply to the TDSB’s ethics review?
- Download and read through the guidelines and application form. Complete the application form and save as a pdf. Combine and merge all necessary documents into one pdf.
- Access the online application form, complete the form and submit your application.
- You will receive a confirmation email when your application has been received.
- Your application will be added to the next ERRC meeting date.
- There is approximately a two-week turnaround time post ERRC meetings dates for a response to applications.
How do I renew or amend my research study?
- Please download and complete the renewal/amendment form and email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
What do I do if I am a TDSB employee and am asked to participate in external research?
- If a study has been approved by the TDSB, researchers will have an approval letter. Please ask to see the ERRC approval letter. Please note, the final decision to participate in an external research study rests with individual school principals. Staff, students, and parents also have the right to decide if they wish to participate. An ERRC approval letter does not endorse the study, it simply means that the TDSB has approved the research methods and applicants can move forward with recruiting participants.
Do I require a police reference check to conduct research at the TDSB?
- All research applicants that are entering the school and/or conducting research with students require a police reference check and vulnerable sector screen. Please visit Police Reference Information for more information.
Where can I get more information?