Toronto District School Board
Skip to main content

Shirley Street Junior Public School

School History

The original Shirley Street Public School was built in 1881-1883. It was a two-room brick school and was build on Mabel Street in the village of Brockton. The school became part of the Toronto school system in 1884. In 1892, the Board built a four-room school to replace the Mabel Street School on its current site of Shirley Street. This building opened in 1893 and had 127 students enrolled. Additions were added in 1894 and 1914. The building was demolished in 1962. The current Shirley Street PS was built in 1962 and was occupied by students on September 4, 1962.