Ward 21 PIAC Ward Election will be held on Thursday, April 1 at 7pm. Click here to register to attend the meeting. You must submit a nomination form if you are interested in the Representative and Alternate positions.
PIAC Ward Representatives and Alternates are advocates who:
- Provide information and advice on parent engagement to the TDSB;
- Communicate with and support school councils of schools; and
- Undertake activities to help parents of pupils of the board support their children's learning at home and at school.
The deadline to submit the Nomination Form is Monday, March 29 at 12 noon. Candidates will be notified of eligibility by Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Elections will be held virtually using the following steps:
- Nominations for the PIAC Rep and Alt must be submitted here: https://forms.gle/NN8LdRWRkdyi4ybDA .
- No Nominations are to be taken from the floor.
- Eligibility criteria of the nominations received will be verified by the Parent and Community Engagement Office to ensure eligibility. The eligibility criteria shall be Toronto District School Board parents or guardians, as defined by Ontario Regulations 612/00 and 330/10, and:
- Parents or Guardians reside in the Ward; or
- TDSB-enrolled child who resides in the Ward; or
- Have a child who is enrolled in a TDSB school in the Ward,
- An election will be required if there is more than one nominee for each available vacancy.
- Elections will be held using the Election Buddy Platform. Voting information will be shared on the evening of the election and only if an election is required
- Election results will be shared by the Trustee and posted on PIAC’s TDSB webpage
For links to the PIAC Election Procedure, nomination form and election resources please visit http://bit.ly/PIACelecLINKS
List of Confirmed Candidates
(Nominations closed March 29, 2021)
Candidate(s) for Ward Representative:
Name: Shanesse Mair
My name is Shanesse and I was born and raised in the city of Toronto close to this very ward. I have my own children now and it is important to me to be involved in all aspects of their learning and development. The introduction of social media in our lives has changed the way we interact and give/receive information, It has become increasingly difficult for parents to stay on top of all aspects of their kids lives with all this technology and the increase of computer use and classes. I want to have an active roll in reducing barriers in parental engagement.
I am a mom of 2, law clerk and event planner and think that the combination of these skills would be an asset to the PIAC.
Name: Abdul Azeem Mohammed
"TDSB and all of us are going through an unprecedented time. Accordingly, the school needs dynamic and motivated representation from the parent advisory council, and myself Abdul Azeem Mohammed is just the sort of person needed for this role.
Having served on the parent council for different schools in Toronto for about a decade, I bring with me experience, and a sense of purpose towards fulfilling the needs of this role. With a background in Business Administration, I am actively involved in the community and a member of various community organizations. I intend to work for the betterment of the students through effective collaboration between the school and the parents. For continued growth and success of our children, please elect Abdul Azeem
Candidate(s) for Ward Alternate:
Name: Anees Munshi
I have been volunteering in the Community for over 8 years in different capacity in Ward 21. I am an advocate for Youth and their well being. I also continue to promote Children's health through different volunteer programs at Non-Profit Organizations in and around Ward 21, including promoting health living and being active. I am and have been involved in Parent Council in High School, Middle School and Elementary school. Promoting for the best education the children can have in their School setting and ensuring student success. I am volunteer parent on the Interview committee for hiring Vice-principals in TDSB elementary schools.