Toronto District School Board
Skip to main content

Gordon A Brown Middle School

School History

Gordon A. Brown Middle School was formerly known as St.Clair Junior High School. On Thursday November 24, 1983, the school was renamed in a ceremony honouring it's former principal. Below is an excerpt on the life of Gordon A. Brown, as it appeared in the programme commemorating the event: Gordon A. Brown, the son of Charlie and Beatrice Brown, was born in East York on September 4, 1922. He lived all his life at the family home on Gledhill Avenue. Mr.Brown attended Danforth Park School and East York Collegiate Institute, and until his untimely death on May 29, 1983, served the East York Educational System in many capacities for more than thirty-five years. Following his early years as a teacher and vice-principal in East York schools, he spent twenty-six years as a principal. From 1968 until his retirement in 1977, he was Principal of St. Clair Junior High School. In 1980, he was elected to the East York Board of Education as a trustee, and during his first term served as Chairman of the Board's Educational Committee. His re-election in 1982, culminated in his being named Chairman of the East York Board of Education. When not involved with educational matters, Mr. Brown travelled extensively throughout the world, was a lay reader at the Church of the Resurrection on Woodbine Avenue for twenty-five years, and was active on the Anglican Visitation Committee at the Toronto East General Hospital. His hobbies included horticulture, stamp collecting, amateur photography and reading.

© 2022 Toronto District School Board  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy   |  CASL