The Toronto District School Board is coordinating the establishment of the Renaming Schools Reference Group. This volunteer group will be engaging in establishing a framework to lead the renaming of TDSB locations and schools.
Engaging in a process to rename a school is an acknowledgement of the need to reimagine the relationship between the school and the community. It considers both the historical and present-day significance of both the people and the space where the school resides.
This process is occurring at a time when there is a broader societal shift towards honouring the importance of “naming” spaces that represent Indigenous or Black leaders or other racialized leaders, and its association to The Land and Indigenous histories. Please read the approved motion for Renaming Schools Celebrating the Diversity of Toronto.
The purpose of the group will be to:
- Inform the consultation process.
- Propose amendments to TDSB policy on the naming of Schools and Special Purpose Areas; and
- Provide a proposal for a city-wide review of all school names, so that TDSB schools reflect the diversity of Toronto’s success.
The group is seeking the following representation:
- A total of 20 members representing each of the 4 Learning Centres.
- TDSB student Trustees to capture student voice.
- Each Learning Centre will have three parent/guardian/caregiver members and two members of the community.
- Membership will include standing representation from the Indigenous and Black communities.
- Special consideration will be given to members of communities who have been historically underrepresented or who might have been negatively impacted by systemic racism.
In support of the Toronto District School Board’s commitment to Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada: Calls to Action, Equity and Diversity, the Renaming Schools Reference Group seeks to include representation among the following designated groups: Indigenous persons, racialized/visible minorities, women, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities. Please note individuals may be a member of more than one designated group.
This is a voluntary self‐identification survey and all data collected is treated confidentially.
By completing this Expression of Interest form, you are confirming that you identify with at least one of the following:
- A parent/guardian/caregiver
- A representative of a community organization
- A community member
Chosen members must reside within the TDSB geographic boundaries and/or belong to a TDSB school community and are willing to make a significant commitment to the work of the TDSB Renaming Schools Reference Group.
All parent/guardian/caregiver and community member roles with the Group are on a voluntary basis. The needs of this specific group may include conference calls by phone or online, and work with various subcommittees. We ask that selected members be willing to meet outside of TDSB’s regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.), depending on TDSB and group timeframes. As such, the TDSB School Renaming Group will be limited in size.
We thank you for your submission. All expressions of interest will be acknowledged. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. To complete this form click here.
If you have any additional questions, please contact: email@example.com