The largest and most diverse school board in Canada, the Toronto District School Board, has officially reconvened the search process for its next Director of Education. Interested candidates are asked to apply by Friday, March 19, 2021.
The search process, which began in the Fall of 2020, was temporarily paused because of challenges associated with the pandemic, including the inability to conduct face–to-face interviews and provide other engagement opportunities between the candidates and the hiring committee. The Board is confident that the new timeline will provide more ideal conditions to improve the process and outcome.
The recruitment process is being led by a Director Search Committee comprised of Trustees, with the assistance of executive search firm Mandrake. To date, the process has included a survey for all TDSB Trustees, senior staff and Community Advisory Committees that gathered 300 responses, an informational webinar, and internal and external consultations, including public delegations. This information helped inform the candidate profile and job posting, and will assist with evaluating candidates during the interview phase.
The successful candidate will hold the most senior executive position in the TDSB, who will oversee 583 schools; 247,000 students; 130,000 life-long learners in Adult and Continuing Education programs; and approximately 42,000 staff. Highlights of responsibilities include:
- ensuring that diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and equity initiatives are reflected in the programs and supports for students and staff;
- transforming learning and instruction;
- fostering relationships with stakeholders; and,
- ensuring that all students have access to opportunities to learn and achieve.
For more information, including a more in-depth description of the recruitment process and key dates, please visit www.tdsb.on.ca/directorsearch.
- Interested applicants for the position of Director of Education are asked to apply by Friday, March 19, 2021.
- Karen Falconer is the TDSB’s Interim Director of Education. She will serve in this position until a permanent Director of Education is secured.
“The recruitment of a permanent Director is one of the most important decisions for the Toronto District School Board as it will have a significant impact on our students, their families and our staff for years to come. I remain confident in the work that has been done and the decisions that have been made to ensure we have the ability to attract and connect with a top tier of candidates.”
- Alexander Brown, Chair, TDSB