The Official Letter of Acceptance (OLA) is an agreement between the TDSB and the student/family, and the TDSB is committed to delivering the programs to all accepted students as prescribed in this official document. If a student cannot report to the TDSB as scheduled due to visa/study permit rejection or delay by IRCC or other personal reasons, he/she has the option to defer enrollment to the subsequent semester or school year. Unless for exceptional circumstances, students are allowed to defer once only.
Timelines to submit deferral request:
- September 1 to November 1 for deferral to February intake
- February 1 to May 1 for deferral to September intake
Documents required to submit deferral request (via email StudyToronto@tdsb.on.ca):
- Deferral Request Form completed and signed by parents/custodian (the form can be downloaded from our website)
- Copy of original Official Letter of Acceptance
- Visa/Study Permit rejection letter from IRCC, or proof of Visa/Study Permit delay (e.g., submission of Visa/study permit application to IRCC), or explanation letter for other personal reasons (e.g., note from a medical doctor)
Please note the International Students and Admissions Office has the final authority to grant or reject the deferral request upon reviewing space availability and the information provided.
Once a deferral Official Letter of Acceptance is issued, a new study permit/visa rejection letter from IRCC is required to be eligible for a full refund.