Don't miss the upcoming Ward Council meeting at John English JMS on November 15th, 7 pm, which will feature TDSB Director John Malloy in a fun and open-ended "Ask Me Anything" session. This is your chance to meet the TDSB top brass and, well, ask them anything! All welcome and child care provided with pre-registration.
November is Aboriginal Education Month and next week is Treaties Recognition Week. On November 8th the TDSB is launching several important new education resources: K-12 Curriculum Connections: Treaties and Residential Schools, and TDSB Resource Guide: Respectful Engagement and Practice with Indigenous Peoples. These valuable resources are in keeping with the recommendations of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada that the history of residential schools be infused into the curriculum and that schools help students develop a broad, respectful understanding of the relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada.
On November 11th all public schools will commemorate those who fought for Canada's democracy and freedoms in international conflicts past and present. Each school plans its own way to commemorate Remembrance Day. These ceremonies closely involve students and are open to their families and usually the community too. They create memories that children and youth carry with them into adulthood about our shared Canadian values and the importance of honouring the legacy of the fallen. This year I'll be attending David Hornell Jr. School's student-led ceremony and will join Wedgewood Jr. School students who will read "In Flanders Fields" at the Etobicoke Civic Centre cenotaph.
With the days growing short, and the time change this weekend, keep in mind that outdoor kids are healthy kids however safety is important. Please reinforce street safety with your children and outfit them with light clothing or reflectors if walking/cycling during the dark hours.
In this issue:
Local Education News and Updates
- Ward Council Nov. 15th: "Ask Me Anything" with TDSB Director John Malloy
- New ward representatives on TDSB Community Advisory Committees
- EQAO scores for Ward 3 schools
- French Immersion registration deadline Dec. 1, open house dates coming up
- LCI Advanced Placement program & open house Nov. 16 2016
- Karen Kain School of the Arts Grade 5 information night Nov. 10 2016
- School Council Workshops
News and Updates from TDSB's Education Centre
- First Nations School of Toronto relocating and expanding
- TDSB launches new equity focus to support student achievement
- Special education survey for parents
In our Community
- People for Education conference Nov.12 2016
- Silent Auction catalogue: ESA craft show and sale Nov. 19 2016
- Lakeshore Santa Claus parade and children's program Dec. 3 2016
Read the full newsletter here.