EARTH WEEK EDITION: The TDSB prides itself on being one of the most environmentally responsible school boards in Canada. We are especially proud of having started the famous EcoSchools program which is now Ontario-wide. With Earth Day happening tomorrow, almost 400 TDSB schools are participating today in Clean Toronto Together, a community clean-up event that sees 137,000 TDSB students out in their schoolyards and communities collecting the winter's litter. I'm joining the students of George R. Gauld Junior School today for their clean-up event. I'm proud to say 87% of Etobicoke Lakeshore public schools are participating in Clean Toronto Together. Thank you to all the students, teachers and principals supporting this event.
The next ward meeting is Tuesday April 25th! We are celebrating Earth Week with a renowned speaker: Gil Penalosa, chair of the non-profit 8-80 Cities. Mr. Penalosa is an international speaker with a message of activism that especially resonates with youth. He calls on school communities to work with and on behalf of students to make their cities safer, healthier and less congested places. Students at Karen Kain School of the Arts (a Platinum level EcoSchool) will join Mr. Penalosa in sharing actions school communities can take to be agents of change for healthy urbanism. All are welcome. More below.
Equity in Education: The TDSB's Enhancing Equity Task force is reaching out to ask people who use our public school system how it's working for them. Is the system fair and equitable for all? If not, what needs to be changed? Please feel free to comment and ask me questions. I can be easily reached at email@example.com. Join me May 4th at Kipling Collegiate for a multi-ward public consultation. More below.
Local education news and updates
- Ward council: School Communities as Agents of Change April 25, 2017
- David Hornell Game Night: April 27, 2017
- Apply for free bike racks and cycling education programs
- Bike to School Week registration now open
- TDSB Etobicoke/Weston enhancing equity consultation May 4, 2017
- Ward 3 school council resources guide: call for volunteers/ideas
News and updates from TDSB's Education Centre
- TDSB passes balanced budget
- Anne Frank exhibit coming to John Polanyi CI
- TDSB strategy to address city growth and intensification
- New trustee appointed for Scarborough Rouge River
- Second week of October named as Body Confidence Week
News and updates from our community
Read the full newsletter here!
- Mimico Waterfront Clean-Up Day April 22, 2017
- Youth Mental Health Awareness forum April 27, 2017