Fall is here! On October 2nd, students, families and staff are encouraged to join schools across the country in celebrating International Walk to School Day (IWALK/IWHEEL), a day that celebrates all forms of active transportation including walking, cycling, scootering and/or travelling using a mobility device.
For resources including posters and event ideas, click here.
Did you know October is also International Walk to School Month? If you're feeling up to the challenge, consider celebrating active transportation all month long.
As autumn arrives, the days begin to get shorter and increasing our visibility on city streets becomes especially important. The following are some safety tips from Toronto Public Health to keep in mind before heading outside:
- Carry identification, a cell phone and a whistle
- Bring water
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and bright, reflective clothing
- Dress for the weather
- Cross streets at traffic lights, stop signs or crosswalks-always walk facing traffic
- Avoid using headphones and cell phones while walking
- Tell someone where you are going
- Check the Air Quality Health Index and UV index before you start your walk
- Be sun safe
Show us how you're celebrating!
Share your IWALK/IWHEEL event with us by tweeting @EcoSchoolsTDSB and @TDSB using the hashtag #walktoschool or #biketoschool