This award honours Jack Henshaw, a tireless supporter and champion of the local, affordable and accessible General Interest and Seniors Daytime programs offered by the Toronto District School Board. It is awarded to someone who has shown a similar commitment to lifelong learning and has made a significant, sustained contribution to the ongoing success of these programs.
The recipient of the award may be an instructor, administrator, adult learner, school trustee or other active supporter of the programs. Nominations may be made by email using the nomination form attached below.
Download the 2022 Jack Henshaw Award Nomination Form
2021 Jack Henshaw Award Recipient
On behalf of the Continuing Education Department, we are pleased to announce the recipient of the 2021 Jack Henshaw Award goes to Tanya Payne, an experienced Learn4Life keyboard instructor!
From the many submissions that were received, here are just a few of the sentiments sent by her learners:
- “She stays active and positive in meeting program challenges. She has moved from face-to-face to online learning with skill, creativity, enthusiasm, and technological affinity.”
- “She has developed an effective teaching format of first going over homework extensively, teaching new theory, aerobic exercises, and new songs, then interactively as a group practising finger aerobics, sight reading and hearing – wow!”
- “One of the criteria for this award is bringing “new resources to the program”. Tanya excels at this. When available music does not address the lesson assigned, Tanya creates her own arrangements of well-known songs (such as Beethoven’s Fur Elise), allowing us to experience playing beautiful music of the ages.”
- “I am now taking my third online course with her. She exudes good will and happiness. I think I am the luckiest person to be able to take up piano keyboarding when I’m in my mid-seventies and have never been musically inclined. Yet, thanks to Tanya I am creating wonderful music and learning to play songs I never would have believed I could. I even give FaceTime mini concerts to my musical grandchildren.”
- “Tanya is a model of a gifted teacher who provides instructional excellence with compassion and humour. She has embraced and overcome many difficult challenges imposed by moving to an online learning environment for a skill-based course. TDSB is indeed fortunate to have Tanya Payton at the helm of their Piano Keyboarding community programs!”
Tanya was a clear winner, as her learners described her immense commitment to lifelong learning, something which Mr. Henshaw tirelessly supported. Thank you to everyone that sent in submissions!