Toronto District School Board
Skip to main content

Gledhill Junior Public School

"a great place to be"
“où il fait bon vivre”

"A Great place to be" for almost a century                 
In 1915, the Toronto Board of Education bought 6 acres of land on Gledhill Avenue near the dirt road that was Danforth Avenue. For two years, students were taught in two portables and then in 1917, almost 300 students started in a new Gledhill schoolhouse. By 1925, Gledhill grew to 30 classrooms. As the Danforth developed into a busy retail street, Gledhill peaked at 1200 students. With some changes to meet safety regulations, Gledhill retained its structure for almost 60 years. In 1983, the Terry Fox Recreation Centre opened. This addition, consisting of a large gym and a community room, reinforced Gledhill’s role as “a great place to be.”

Our special needs students receive support through Special Education Programs, including Home School Program, Resource Support, and the Primary Behavioural Program. We also offer English as a Second Language support for students.
Gledhill is a community school with a large double gym used for Toronto Parks and Recreation programs as well as a general purpose room which is used regularly as a drop-in centre operated by the East End Children’s Centre. The Gledhill Day Care provides childcare and recreation for children ages 3 to 12 as well as Before and After Care for Kindergarten students. Supervised after school recreation care is also available daily through Parks and Rec.

Gledhill Junior Public School Photo