Fairmount Public School was built in 1951 at the foot of Fairmount Avenue, now known as Dorset Road. Additions were made to the original 8-room building in 1953, 1956 and 1962. An interesting historical feature of the school is a set of three architectural sculptures designed by the builder, Murray Brown, depicting the basic skills of reading, writing and mathematics. These are on the outside north wall of the school. Centred in an older neighbourhood, bordering on the Scarborough Bluffs, the school has seen a great fluctuation in enrolment over the years. Currently, the school population is stable as more young families move into the community. We currently house a Sunshine Daycare.
We are passionate about creating an environment where students from Junior Kindergarten through to Grade 8 lead and learn in collaborative and caring community. We work along side Metro Community Services (Hostel Services Division) to assist families in local family residences and refugee shelters. Our special school wide projects with Free the Children, help students look outward beyond themselves.