Celebrating the Joy of Discovery
Banting and Best Public School is one of the most northern schools in the Toronto District School Board, located near the intersection of McCowan Road and Steeles Avenue. The school opened at its current site in June 1989 with a population of 358 students. The school is named after two very famous Canadians, Dr. Frederick Banting and Dr. Charles Best, who discovered insulin in 1921.
At Banting and Best P.S., we enable students to become productive, contributing members of Canadian society by providing a balanced curriculum in a supportive environment.
At Banting and Best P.S., we enable students to become productive, contributing members of Canadian society by providing a balanced curriculum.
Approximately 75% of our students have a primary language other than English, with Cantonese and Mandarin being spoken by the majority.
Banting and Best P.S. is a Kindergarten to Grade 8 school, with regular grade programming, ESL classes and a special education program. The Banting and Best Child Care Centre is housed in the school building. Our school offers the International Languages Elementary Program. This program is designed to give students the opportunity to learn additional languages, other than English and French, and to learn about and appreciate other traditions, customs and cultures.