Charlottetown Junior Public School's Mission Statement
Charlottetown Jr. P. S. is a dynamic elementary school with a tradition of academic excellence and collaborative parent involvement. Located in the area northwest of Port Union Road and Lawrence Ave., the school serves students from Kindergarten to grade 6.
The students at Charlottetown benefit from the many traditions that have been established including: band and strings program, character development recognition assemblies, sports, arts, drama and music extra-curriculars, Camp Kearney, and the annual Winter Fair.
We have set high expectations for our students as we provide the foundation for learning through Charlottetown's School Improvement Plan.
• Having our students reach high levels of achievement in all subject areas
• Ensuring a safe, secure, and supportive learning environment for our students
• Promoting personal, social, and environmental responsibility
• Recognizing and celebrating the uniqueness and diversity of our students and community
• Maintaining strong partnerships with parents/guardians
More Information About Charlottetown Junior Public School
Language and Literacy: Readers are leaders!
The development of literacy is a priority at Charlottetown Jr. P. S. and teachers are committed to providing the instruction necessary for all learners to attain their highest level of literacy across all subject areas. Our classroom programs include daily balanced literacy programming, weekly library periods, and integration of digital media and computer technology.
Mathematics: Achieving starts with believing!
By applying a careful balance of approaches, our goal is to help students understand that with the right amount of effort everyone can be successful in mathematics. Our programs encourage students to apply mathematics to solve problems, process information, and to communicate effectively using numbers, words, symbols, and representations.
The Arts: Many ways to create at Charlottetown!
Music, drama, dance and visual arts are the four creative strands that make up the arts curriculum, and Charlottetown Jr. P. S. offers students many opportunities to be creative in these areas. Our school offers: band, strings, and vocal programming, and extra-curricular opportunities which include folk dance, drama, crafts, and talent show.
Building Character... Building Success!
At Charlottetown Jr. P. S. character development is woven into daily lessons, extra curricular activities, and student assemblies. A shared responsibility between home and school, character development is aimed at helping students develop self-discipline and personal management skills to enable them to be the best they can be.
- 2 Gymnasiums
- Outdoor Education Program Visits
- School Library
- Itinerant Music Instructor Program
- Computer Lab
- Special Lunch Days
- Annual Winter Fair
Student Life - Where You Belong
An extensive collection of extra-curricular activities enhances student life at Charlottetown Jr. P. S. Our staff takes pride in offering a variety of activities beyond the classroom that include:
Folk Dance, Band, Strings, Orff , Winter Concert, Guest Artists
Baseball, Basketball, Bordenball, Cross-Country, Flag Football, Track and Field, Soccer, Volleyball, Floor Hockey
Me to We, Safety Patrol, Chess, Lego, Fitness, Games
WHAT SETS US APART
Our Students: Charlottetown Jr. P. S. has approximately 420 students who proudly reflect a variety of cultural backgrounds. Our students are known for their strong work ethic, good character, and their efforts at making visitors and new students feel welcome.
Our Staff: Charlottetown's dedicated staff is committed to providing a learning environment which promotes the development of academic skills, knowledge and achievement, the growth of self-esteem and responsibility, and the demonstration of respect, cooperation, and equity. Our staff is known for their high level of committment to students, strengths in many areas, and willingness to go the extra mile.
Our Parents and Community: Student opportunities are enhanced by the efforts of caring and supportive parents, hard-working School Council, and many partnerships with community groups and service providers. Together, we make Charlottetown Jr. P. S. a place to be proud of!
PARENT AND COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
Ways in which parents support students include:
• Attending parent-teacher interviews
• Participating on School Council or with related activities
• Communicating with teachers about their children’s progress
• Volunteering in the classroom, school library, and on excursions
• Coordinating special projects and school events
Partnerships within our community include:
• Toronto Public Health Department, Police Services, Fire Department, and Public Library
• Free the Children, Terry Fox Foundation, Hospital for Sick Children, Royal Canadian Legion, and Scarborough Centre For Community Living
• Sunshine Child Care, Charlottetown Child Care, and East Scarborough Boys & Girls Club