East York Alternative Secondary School's Mission Statement
What Do We Offer?
Earn up to 6 credits a semester combining Co-op and in-school courses:
- Co-op 2-4 credit (flexible with paid & afterschool options)
- OYAP – Youth Apprenticeship
- Dual Credits - take a college course for free and earn high school credits at the same time!
- Interdisciplinary, Project-Based Activities: (Cooking & Art, Phys-Ed & Science, English & Media)
- Visual Arts – Silkscreening & T-shirt Design, Art History & Large Scale Installations
- Social Justice Focused & Relevant Social Science Courses
- Math & Science Credit Requirements available in a Supportive Environment
More Information About East York Alternative Secondary School
Is East York Alternative Right for Me?
Join EYA students working toward college & university admissions...
The Learning Environment at EYA
Inside the EYA Studio
Food, Nutrition & Culture @ EYA
Throughout the school year we hold special hot lunch events where students contribute to the menu. This includes our December Holiday Feast and BBQs in good weather.
- Notebooks, Tablets & Wi-fi
- Project-Based Learning
- Yoga and Meditation
- Environmental Garden
- School Activity Days
- Co-operative Education
- Dual Credits
Student Life - Where You Belong
WHAT SETS US APART
Teachers are caring, flexible and adaptable mentors who are known by their first names and always strive to help students reach their potential. Our courses are student-directed, arts-focused, and social justice-oriented. Through team-teaching, teachers deliver lessons that allow students to appreciate the interdisciplinary connections between subjects. Students explore their creativity and refine their critical thinking and teamwork skills as they collaborate on relevant projects with real-world applications that enable community outreach. Students are also encouraged to pursue their own passions on rich independent projects that are uniquely tailored to their needs and interests.
Students learn to be independent, self-governing adults, but they also learn about connectedness - to their peers, to the school community, and to the world.