Today, Chair of the Toronto District School Board Chris Bolton, announced that Trustees will be holding ward forums on the 2012/2013 budget in the coming weeks.
Each year, Trustees hold ward forums to hear from their communities about the recommendations that are being considered in order for the Board to meet the requirement under the Education Act to pass a balanced budget.
This year, recommendations look at a number of options to find efficiencies, change the way the Board delivers services, and look for areas where spending can be brought closer to Ministry of Education funding levels.
For more information on the 2012/2013 budget, including the ward forum presentation, please visit: www.tdsb.on.ca/budget/
We’ve been working with our Provincial and Municipal counterparts to ensure there is as little impact as possible on our students. We’ll continue working with our partners to find creative solutions that put our students and schools first.”
- Chris Bolton, Chair of the TDSB
“I strongly encourage parents, students, and community members to attend their local ward forums to let us know about their concerns and provide their thoughts on the Board’s budget.”
- Jerry Chadwick, Chair of the TDSB Budget Committee
- In March, the Board approved $50.6 million in reductions, however a further $58.2 million must be found to balance the 2012/2013 budget.
- The Board is scheduled to approve its 2012/2013 budget at a special Board meeting on June 13, 2012.
- Every $1 of the deficit not found this year means the TDSB has to find $2 of savings next year. That means a $110 million deficit would become $220 million next year.