What is the
TDSB Parent Involvement Advisory Committee?
Purpose of Parent Involvement Committees (PICS)
In 2010 the Ministry of Education amended the Ontario Regulation 612/00, by Ontario Regulation 330/10. This resulted in the creation of Parent Involvement Committees (PICS). For further information on the Regulation please click the above Regulation.
PIAC Mission Statement
PIACís purpose is to support, encourage and enhance parent engagement at the Board level in order to improve student achievement and well being. In working towards this purpose, members of PIAC shall foster open, positive, inclusive and effective communication at all levels of parent involvement, and shall respect the Committeeís accountability to its constituent groups and its responsibility to the Board.
In addition to following PIACís mission statement, all members shall:
(a) Work together in a manner that fosters co-operation;
(b) Demonstrate respect for the opinions, concerns, and ideas of others;
(c) Strive to understand each otherís values and perspectives without pre-judgment or biases;
(d) Value the principles and practices of equity and inclusion in PIACís operations and deliberations;
For further guiding principles and PIAC by-laws, click here.
What does PIAC do?
PIAC's role is to:
- Consult and work with parents, staff, and community to identify issues related to parent engagement for discussion and information
- Discuss and respond to items referred to PIAC by the Board
- Make recommendation or provide recommendations or comments to the baord on any parent/education related matter
- Work and support school councils across the board
How can parents GET INVOLVED with PIAC?
- Get elected as a PIAC representative or alternate at your ward metting or contact your Trustee
- Get involved with TDSBs Community Liaison Groups. Visit www.tdsb.on.ca/parents/parent_community
- Join one of PIACs Working Groups. Working group members are volunteers and are open to all TDSB parents/guardians
- Attend PIAC meetings. TDSB parents/guardians are welcome to attend meetings as observers. For a meeting schedule see the meetings page.
How does PIAC work for parents?
PIAC supports parents/school councils in the following ways:
- Facilitation of Working Groups on an array of issues. To view PIAC working groups, click here.
- Participation on a number of TDSB committees such as: School Calendar; Caring and Safe Committee; TDSB Consultation Committee;
- Organize the annual School Council Appreciation Event
- Collaborate with TDSB to organize the annual Parent Involvement Make a Difference Conference
- Ongoing outreach and support for School Councils