June 14, 2012: Trustees Approve Balanced Budget for 2012-13
Proposed Budget Plan for 2012-13: Staff Recommendations
May 23, 2012: TDSB 2012/2013 Budget: Creating Financial Stability
March 2012: TDSB Funding Needs: Creating Sustainability
Key Dates in the Budget Cycle
There are several important milestones in the budget development process before the final draft budget plan is tabled for Trustees to approve in June.
- In March, Trustees are asked to approve school staffing levels for the following year (this includes classroom teachers, educational assistants, principals, vice principals, school office clerical staff, caretaking, school-based safety monitors and lunchroom supervisors). This is critical because school staffing represents more than 80 percent of TDSB's total budget.
- In March, after the Province has tabled its budget, the Ministry of Education announces the Grants for Student Needs (overall funding structure for all public school boards across Ontario). Staff prepare budget projections (these are rough estimates based on the Ministry announcement) for Trustees on the Board's Budget Committee to begin considering.
- By early May, the Ministry of Education provides TDSB with the precise numbers on our specific funding allocations for the upcoming year. Staff update their budget projections with the new information and present a draft budget plan with their recommendations to Trustees.
- In May and early June, the draft budget plan is shared with Trustees.
- This final draft plan is considered and a final budget is approved at a meeting of the entire Board of Trustees in June.