The Vocal Music Academy helps shape our future musicians and artists. This unique TDSB program in the TDSB engages students with a passion for music and performance. The Vocal Music Academy is one of five new Elementary Academies that opened in September 2012 that focus on promoting excellence and encouraging the talents of our future musicians, artists, health experts and leaders.
These programs offer exciting new opportunities for students to explore their individuality and creativity within the TDSB.
What is the Vocal Music Academy?
Singing, creating and performing are at the core of the Vocal Music Academy, targetted for boys and girls in Grades 4 to 6, with a passion to sing and perform. All students will experience music from around the world and learn about the musicians and music that have shaped our world, history, and cultures.
What will students learn and do?
- Participate in a variety of vocal performance opportunities with a strong emphasis on ensemble singing
- Learn about and perform music from around the world and various historical eras
- Discover their creativity by writing and performing their own music
- Learn to think critically about the music they hear, perform and create
- Develop musicianship, artistry, self esteem and confidence
How will students benefit?
Students will develop musical knowledge, creativity and confidence through choral singing and the creation of their own music. Students will have numerous opportunities to participate in a variety of glee clubs, large ensemble singing groups, musical theatre, small groups, chamber ensembles and solo performances in the school and their community across the GTA.
Students will be part of a culture that balances academic excellence with personal leadership, character development and innovation.
Where will it be located?
There will be two Vocal Music Academies in the TDSB: